Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Swamp Monster

I know.
I have always known.
The way the mountains loom
Over your shoulders
Was the great tip-off.

You have been holding my head under
Water for months, waiting for me to surrender
As my hair turns soft, then cold.
Feel it cling to the spaces between your fingers.

You work at filling my pockets
And socks with smooth stones.
How easily they slip in and appear harmless,
Oh but they feel like thunder.

The vertebrae in my spine knock against each other in the brawl.
What is it you get out of seeing my soggy lungs?

I found a way to float, you thought I had sunk.
You dreamt you could keep me shoved down in that ashen water.

There is too much sorrow that cannot be drowned.
It refuses to go,
But I still can.
And I will pick the leeches from my legs as i leave the water's edge
And let the twilight swallow me whole.

1 comment:

finite empathy said...

This is really good. Fantastic imagery.

I'm a bit curious if I interpreted this as you intended. How I read it was that stanzas 1-5 are in the voice of "sorrow" which you reveal in stanza 6 that you are trying to drown, but there is too much of it (because it's the swamp monster?) so instead you walk away...

anyway, regardless of whether I interpreted it as you would have, I still think it's great